Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stop Snot Shop

Remember this post from I&I. My brother Matt got snap happy with his camera but not so handy with his handkerchief to wipe his daughter's nose before taking the shot... he blogged/uttered (bluttered?) the words "that is what photoshop is for I guess?"... well you know me... not one to let a challenge like that pass me by... so here is the result of my limited photoshop skills so far... a very interesting pass time and one that reaffirms to me that we should NEVER believe any of the images printed or published in magazines today. This is merely an exercise in the amazing versatility of the average home computer and not a reflection of my desire for perfection... I love my nieces snot and all! ... but if you ever want to print a photo without the snot then here's what I'd do...

L-R: Original; Snot removed; eye reflection reduced.

Snot is removed by using a "healing" brush that samples the area around the bit you want to remove and then refilling it in using similar tones and textures... you do that tiny piece by piece until you have the desired effect.

The reflection in Henny's eyes is quite big and distracting from her lovely dark iris. I tried removing the reflection completely but it makes for a strange look - so I opted for simply reducing the reflection to something smaller and more uniform. I think its believable?


"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."


There are also some funny blogs dedicated to less considered photoshop use here...

1 comment:

Matt said...

very good, now i'll never need to wipe her nose again.